Sunday, January 10, 2010

If I can't sail today...

... I can at least think about sailing...ok since I started a sailing blog I guess I should write something even though there's snow on the ground and temp is 6 degrees F. Here goes and I'm assuming, since it's a blog (with no followers - how do I fix that except to write interesting stuff) it's ok to just ramble... 4 more days of work until flight to Key West. It's been really cold all over the country and KW just registed multiple days of record cold, breaking 140 year old records. Watching the stream... looks like it'll warm up to near normal temps for race week, otherwise I'll have to bring frostbite wear instead of shorts and tees.

My good friend, main trimmer and tactitian on Dark 'n Stormy lost his ride for KWRW on Thurs. As I cannot financially justify bringing DnS to KW (at least until my biotechs kick into gear) both he and I were psyched to have secured berths on different J105s. Last week one of the co-owners for his boat sliced off a couple fingers in a furniture accident so now that boat won't race. Eric has non-refundable airline tix and now no housing but wants to race. Looks like he'll bunk with us and need to walk the docks looking for a ride even though we've been networking like mad to find a slot. dayMeanwhile we're following a couple other friends (including DnS's bow girl) racing etchelles in Miami JAG, after day 1 they were in 6th out of 53 boats which is really awesome. Very cold there temps in 40s, winds 20+ and folks on SA describing conditions as "grisly" and "gnarly".

Let's see what else am I doing that's sailing related? oh yeah, wrapping up paperwork for endorsed IRC certificate, putting out requests for letter of recommendations for OffSoundings membership and some YC website stuff. Need to start booking slips on Block Island for events there this summer and find out if that J/44 I usually crew on is doing Newport-Bermuda this year or not. That's it for now... hope to post from KW.

No comments:

Post a Comment