Sunday, March 28, 2010

man overboard

blowing pretty hard for my rookie Laser skills so instead did mid on an Etchells. 8 boats on the line in our class today. Cold but techwicks, fleece, bibs and spray top were just fine. Trimming spinnaker is physically demanding on days like this - winds steady 14-17kts and higher gusts. Excellent racing, but tough competition got maybe 1-2 boats per race.. After last leeward mark rounding in second to the last race the head stay parted, we finished then set to work looking to repair it for last race. Didn't secure it in time, missed the start of the last race so we doused jib and headed in. Nearing the docks I gathered lines, attached stern line and was making my way forward when we accidently gybed. I saw the boom coming but nothing I could do except go with it and into the water I went. PFD held head clear and I remember lifting my arms out of the water to stay warm. Held on the unattached bow line (actually a light air spin sheet) and waited for the boat to come about and pick me up. Cold! water temp around 40 but got picked up on first try. Sopping wet until we docked then I ran to the car, got naked in the parking lot and put on dry suit as it was the only dry clothes I had. Wish I was wearing it earlier! Warmed up quick enough with help of rum and hot soup. Another excellent day!

No comments:

Post a Comment